Sunday, September 17, 2017

"Do you have a question for us?!"

Hello everyone!

City Hall in Yamagata


Here's a story for you all.

This week, Sister Bean and I decided to put finding at the top of our priorities list. We would do our studies during the day, and then go out to find during the prime hours of 6-8 PM when everyone was home from work.

On Monday night, we walked up to an apartment door and right as I was about to ring the bell, the door suddenly opened. There stood a middle aged man with the most confused look on his face. I was still taken aback by the fact that the door just opened so I didn't say anything. We stood there in silence for a solid five seconds.

I blinked.

He blinked.

... I blinked again.

Then I blurted out, "Do you have a question for us?"

Even though we were the ones who knocked on his door.

He obviously had no questions and just wanted to get out of his apartment. Sister Bean lost it and had to leave the scene because she couldnt stop laughing.

So that's finding in Japan! Luckily not all the experiences are like the one mentioned above. Usually we can manage to at least introduce ourselves.

But the moral of the story is, always be prepared to share the gospel because you never know when a teaching opportunity may arise. In other words, don't panic and keep your cool. The spirit will teach us what to say as long as we do our part in obtaining His word (D&C 11:21).

Yamadera


Studying the gospel has been something I've looked forward to everyday on my mission, and it's amazing the insight you can receive when you "seek to obtain His word" for the benefit of others. As a young child, I remember reading the scriptures more for the entertaining story plotlines. As a high school and college student, I valued the scriptures more for it's doctrinal truths, and relied on them to answer my questions and help me deal with life's challenges.

But as a missionary, your study focus changes from, "How can the scriptures help me?" to "How can the scriptures help the people I teach?" Your questions change from, "How can I overcome this trial?" to "How can I help this person overcome their trial?"

It's amazing how promptly the Lord is willing to give us clear answers when we use this approach.

My prayers are with you always. May we all look for opportunities to serve one another this week.

あいしています!

松浦姉妹 (Matsuura Shimai)

Serene

These mountains are older than you.

You wondered what Japan looks like? THIS.

This week we had zone conference in Sendai at the Kamisugi church building! This is where my mom went to church as a young convert. I also got to see a fellow Golden (AKA Bean missionary) Kelly Shimai!    


Pictured here with the Furukawa's. Bro. Furukawa knew my parents when they were married in the Tokyo temple almost 25 years ago!



1 comment:

THE GRAND FINALE - I'm coming home for reals!

Hello Family and Friends!  Here we are, my final email as a full-time missionary. Thank you for letting me share my mission with you! I...