Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Look up instead of looking around - Final Week at the MTC

Hello Family and Friends,

Only five more days at the MTC and then they're flying us out to the motherland!

To start off, I would like to introduce a good friend of mine, Sister Misa Walker
 
Sister Walker and I go back two years when we first met in our Japanese class at BYU. We were both thinking about serving missions at that time, but long story short, the timing wasn't right.



About two days into the MTC I ran into Sister Walker. It was a joyous reunion! We reminisced on our Japanese class days and talked about why we decided to go on missions. Something that we both struggled with prior to serving was the fact that we would be older than the average serving missionary. It was hard knowing that while most of our friends have already completed their missions and were progressing through life, we would just be starting at age 21, 22. Thankfully we both were able to realize that age does not matter. I am so grateful I didn't allow that to be a factor in stopping me from serving.

All of us missionaries come from a variety of different backgrounds, but we're united in one purpose: To invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel.



I'm barely starting to realize how amazing it truly is.

It's worth leaving behind your loved ones, trying to overcome a language barrier in order to console a homesick companion, forgetting how to say a prayer in front of your entire district, being confined within the gates of the MTC knowing that your friends are within a one mile radius (so close yet so far), putting your education on hold, and waking up everyday not knowing whether or not you'll be able to speak the language.

It's hard, but I know that the work being done will change the lives of those who are prepared to accept the gospel. Thank goodness we have the Lord by our side at all times.

I was talking with one of my Japanese teachers this week, expressing my frustration with learning the language. He gave me a valuable piece of advice - to look up instead of looking around. For the past two weeks I've been studying my books, relying on my companion and living off of google translate. Sure I said a prayer here and there, but the Lord wasn't my main reliance. That's changing this week, and hopefully He'll give me some help before I'm forced to become fully immersed.'

Cliche photo Jordyn forced me to take (slightly cringing)
*note from Jordyn: Even from afar I have an influence... hehe*

I know as we look to Christ and become as he is, our burdens will become light and we can move forward with a brighter hope for the future. 
So don't forget that. 

I love you all! 

Matsuura Shimai

Saw Jessica, my old roommate, from the tour



Temple with the zone sisters

MTC vegetation is edible. That green plant in the front is parsley. Not ashamed to say that I take a sprig everytime I walk by one. It's especially good on cafeteria salads. My companion gets embarrassed everytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

THE GRAND FINALE - I'm coming home for reals!

Hello Family and Friends!  Here we are, my final email as a full-time missionary. Thank you for letting me share my mission with you! I...