Monday, June 11, 2018

Saying goodbye after 6 months in Hachinohe

June 4th, 2018

There's some big big BIG changes coming up!
The Miura's took us to their handmade cabin (yes they built a cabin with their hands) for lunch and a lesson! They had a poppy field close by and I almost died!

Catching me mid smug in a field of poppies.

I guess my heading gave it away haha. First of all transfers. After spending half a year in Hachinohe, I'm going to Morioka (about a two hour bus ride south)! We actually had the opportunity to go to Morioka last week for a conference. I had the strangest sense of déjà vu when I walked into the church building. Turns out I attended sacrament meeting there long ago with my mother when we were visiting her friends in Morioka! Crazy to think I'm returning as a missionary now!

I'm going to be training another new missionary from the MTC. Probably God's way of saying I didnt do things right the first time hahaha. My current companion, Sister Jacobson, is also training a new missionary as a third transfer! It's hard not to tear up a bit when you see your trainee become a trainer. She's solid and I know she's going to see so many miracles in Hachinohe!

Hachinohe has been a wild ride! Filled with sweet memories and life-defining moments that I will cherish forever. All missionaries would probably agree that transferring from an area you love is one of the hardest experiences of the mission. But at the same time, there's an immense feeling of gratitude for being able to love an area so much that it hurts to leave. During one of my last conversations with our investigator Yamada San, she said something along these lines: "We have an eternity to live and having our lives cross for even a single moment is a miracle."


That`s the mission! Meeting people from all walks of life and knowing that each encounter with a person is part of God's perfect plan.

Angel house staff and Yamada san! 

As I mentioned before, we were in Morioka last week. We had the wonderful opportunity to hear from the Elder Choi of the Seventy. I would like to share an experience during the conference that pretty much defined my 6 months in Hachinohe. Towards the end of Elder Choi's talk, he had the members come to the front and we all sang "I Am a Child of God" to them. I've always loved this classic primary song, but it has become more meaningful as a missonary. Elder Choi testified of the power of song in reaching the hearts of the Japanese people. Jacobson Shimai and I put this to the test the following day when we went finding. We housed into an old lady with a gloomy look on her face. She said she was exhausted from caring for her 18 year-old dog. We asked if we could sing her a song and she agreed. As the words of "I Am a Child of God" filled her ears, she started crying. Although she was Buddhist, she felt the power of the song. It was definitely not from our singing, but from the words that testify of the true nature of God.

愛する companion
This song has helped us teach about the love of God to more people than any other method or approach. It's simple, but it really works. Especially in a country that is predominantly Buddhist. People are able to feel the spirit through this song and it's something they can't deny!

I love you all! Thank you for your support and prayers.

Church is true!

Love,
Matsuura Shimai

A little bit of cheese and inspiration from the district:



Giant edible leaves + 愛する companion



No comments:

Post a Comment

THE GRAND FINALE - I'm coming home for reals!

Hello Family and Friends!  Here we are, my final email as a full-time missionary. Thank you for letting me share my mission with you! I...