Monday, June 11, 2018

That one time I became companions with my mom

Sister Matsuura squared
On transfer day (Wed. 6th) we had a short stop in Sendai to meet up our new companions. During that time, I met up with my mother and become companions with her! It was quite the experience! We did some finding, talked to people on the streets, and testified of the Book of Mormon. Our main purpose however, was to visit my grandparents and teach them a lesson.

About a month ago, my grandpa was diagnosed with malignant lymphoma. He is currently undergoing treatments and if all goes well, he can live longer than a year. The news of his illness was unexpected and hard to take at first, but then I came to understand that God has a perfect plan for my grandpa. It truly is a blessing that I was able to serve a mission at this time and be close to him.
 
With the fam!


When we showed up at my grandparent's house, I was surprised to see my cousin there! He just happened to be in Sendai for one day for a job interview. Our plans and paths crossed perfectly, thanks no doubt to divine intervention! We enjoyed a simple pizza lunch and then started our lesson. My mom bore a powerful testimony on how the knowledge of the plan of salvation has blessed her life. My grandpa was never someone to express his feelings so he didn't say much, but he was open to having the missionaries over again.

This past Saturday the Elders in the area stopped by and gave my grandmother a blessing. This was a miracle in itself. She's a devout Buddhist, but exercised enough faith to accept the blessing. Afterwards, she reported that her hip pains disappeared and now has more energy to care for my grandfather!

I know God is opening the doors of heaven for my grandparents and giving them the opportunity to accept the gospel. Whether they choose to accept it in this life or the next, the blessings that are occurring now are setting the stage for all that to happen!

 
One of the hardest goodbyes of my life. Love love LOVE Jacobson Shimai, my bb and fellow Idahoan! She's one of the boldest missionaries I know! There's no one else I would entrust Hachinohe with more than her!


NEW COMPANION, NEW AREA

As mentioned before, transfers happened and I'm currently in my new area - MORIOKA (google it).

This is the most populated area I've served in so far! Lots of people and lots of energy. I love it. Although it was heartbreaking leaving the beautiful ocean views and wonderful people of Hachinohe, I'm excited to serve the people of Morioka!

A horse festival parade in Morioka

My companion and I are starting at ground zero. We know nothing about the area and have very few friends as of right now, but we are excited to get working! We did find two investigators this week. One very animated man who danced for us at his doorstep, and another old man who says he hates religion but was interested in learning more about what we have to teach.

My new companion is Sister Burrows from Orem, Utah! She is so sweet and very knowledgeable about the gospel. She's also a quarter Japanese, but you would never guess because she has blond hair! But yes, I'm excited and expecting to learn alot from her this transfer!

Here's a more in depth introduction on Burrows Shimai:

Favorite food:
"All kinds of fruit!"

Hobbies:
Painting, drawing, tennis (YES), basketball, being with sisters and family.

Favorite Japanese phrase:
"Ai siteru yo!" (I love you)

Favorite part of the mission?
"Everything about Japan reminds me of my family. The smells, the language. I feel at home here!"

So yeah, Burrows Shimai is awesome and I'm really looking forward to seeing so many miracles with her!                                                                         

Thank you for all your prayers and support!

Church is true!

Love,
Matsuura Shimai

Mark 9:23





No comments:

Post a Comment

THE GRAND FINALE - I'm coming home for reals!

Hello Family and Friends!  Here we are, my final email as a full-time missionary. Thank you for letting me share my mission with you! I...